Directions: Click here for Google map
If you like taking long walks on the beach with your dog, but without the crowds, then Old Orchard Beach in the off season is a great place to visit.
We recently spent a weekend at Old Orchard Beach and enjoyed the warmth of early spring while the area was still very quiet.
The sandy beach is approximately 7 miles long, dog friendly in the off season, and we found a dog-friendly ocean front motel. Cooper was very happy to have his very own "people-sized" bed in our room!
Here are the positive features:
- Beautiful beach for miles of walking/running with your furry friend
- Dog friendly lodging abounds (search Google or see below for where we stayed)
- Lodging was inexpensive
- No crowds while we were there in March
- Some shops & restaurants are open year-round (see below for the places we visited)
- A fun spontaneous get-away: we reserved our hotel room just hours before we checked in
- Dog friendly lodging is not very high class - but it's better than nothing!
- There are no private areas for your dog to go potty, so bring a few bags to pick it up
- During the day in peak season, dogs are not allowed on the beach
- Sandpiper Beachfront Motel, right on the ocean: www.sandpiperbeachfrontmotel.com
- Board Silly, a fun game store for adults & kids: www.boardsillyonline.com
- Michele's Garden Cafe, serving a good breakfast: click here for more info
- Run of the Mill Public House and Brewery, serving great dinners: click here for more info